AP by the Sea
June 17 - 20, 2019
University of San Diego, San Diego, CA
- Chemistry Mahjong -- Nathan told me about this program for practicing chemicals (ions?). It requires Adobe Flash to run and I could not get this to work on my computer, but I pass it along.
- ELEMENTS App -- There is an iPhone and iPad app called "U. S. Army STARS Elements" that has some fun and simple activities and games.
- Photo Below -- This is the periodic table in Christina Buck's classroom using the same method as the holiday ornaments. Very impressive.
- Balloons, Hybrid Orbitals and Multiple Bonds -- This link was shared by Enyonam Akondo (N-U-NAM) as a resource related to our discussion of hybridization and multiple bonds where long balloons are used to illustrate pi-bonds.
- Ben Ku's Web Site -- I only mentioned Mr. Ku about a hundred times during the APSI. Here is a link to his web site. There are pull-down menus that give access to many of the handouts in his AP curriculum. Moreover, he has organized my tutorials according to his teaching units.
- Large Post-It Notes -- Here is the link to popping.com where those huge post-it type notes were purchased. They stuck really nicely to the glass. I have found in my classroom that they don't stick as well to the walls. They stick nicely to a clean white board, however.
- AP Supports 2019 -- Here is the link for the College Board web site describing the new supports that will be available for the 2019-2020 school year. This includes the AP Test Bank, Unit Guides, etc.
- Extreme Glow Nightsticks -- Here is the company where I purchased those bright, short-lived light sticks for the kinetics demonstration. You need to purchase quite a few (100) to get free shipping. Remember, when they quote a price like $8.50 each, they are talking about a bag of 10 nightsticks. Keep them in the refrigerator to make them last longer.
- ROYGBV Demo Information -- Here is specific information about the demonstration with the theatrical gels (cellophane) which is an analogy for the photoelectric effect.
Roscolux Rx25 (Lt. Red) -- (this leaks a little)
Roscolux Rx22 (Deep Amber)
Roscolux Rx10 (Med. Yellow)
[Note: I put some of the Med. Yellow behind the Red and Orange windows, too.]
Roscolux Rx 389 (Chroma Green)
Roscolux Rx 68 (Sky Blue)
Roscolux Rx48 (Rose Purple)
I mentioned that there are sample booklets that contain a small sample (1.75" x 3.25") of each gel from this company. You can find them online by following the link at the beginning of this note. I did a Google search for "Roscolux sample book" and found several sources. The least expensive one ($1.50) is the one I linked above. They also sell sample books with 3" x 6" samples for about $25.
|Enyonam Akondo||Clovis East Highemail@example.com|
|Christina Buck||Calabasas High Schoolfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nausheen Choudhury||Birmingham Community Charter High Schoolemail@example.com|
|Michelle Cote||Murrieta Valley Highfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jennifer Donohue||Rancho Mirage Highemail@example.com|
|J.P Francoisse||Desert Hot Springs High Schoolfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kim Hall-Heide||Montclair Highemail@example.com|
|Candace Haudenschild||Lakewood High Schoolfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Andrew Kempiak||Healdsburg Highemail@example.com|
|Brian Kiffe||Henry Highfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jade Laygo||Summit Highemail@example.com|
|Louis Luu||Kaiser High Schoolfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nathan Macy||Eastside High Schoolemail@example.com|
|Kristina Mitchell||Helix Charter High Schoolfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kevin Przyswitt||Strathcona High Schoolemail@example.com|
|Maria Rickard||Buhach Colony High Schoolfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Colleen Robinson||Helix Charter High Schoolemail@example.com|
|Connie Sutliff||Woodcreek High Schoolfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jorge Valdivieso||San Marcos High Schoolemail@example.com|
|Alison Valentine||Santa Catalina Schoolfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Elizabeth Vargas||Western Center Academyemail@example.com|